It will often happen that I come up with what I think is a unique recipe idea. I will be so excited to give it a try and share it with all of you. And all too often I will be ready to cook my creation but then google it real quick, just to see if somehow this original idea has been thought of before, and it most likely has. More than likely, any idea of mine has been thought up at least 153 times before. This is no lie. But hey, they say great minds think alike – so if this many people have this idea along with me, it must be a good one, right?
Well, if we are basing it off this recipe the answer would be right. It is delicious and a must try. I am a HUGE fan of homemade macaroni & cheese and I can honestly say I will be adding pumpkin puree to mine in the future. It is that amazing!
Pumpkin Macaroni & Cheese
3 cups Mostaccioli, dry
2 tablespoons butter, unsalted
2 tablespoons flour
2 cups milk
¾ cup pumpkin puree
2 cups Colby cheese, shredded
1 cup American cheese, shredded
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees
2. Bring water to boil, cook according to noodle package – approx. 8-10 minutes. Drain.
3. Over medium heat, melt butter in saucepan until foamy. Whisk flour in – cook for 2 minutes
4. Slowly whisk in milk, making sure there are no lumps
5. Add pumpkin puree, mix well
6. Remove from heat. Add cheeses, salt, nutmeg and black pepper
7. When cheese is melted combine with drained noodles
8. Pour noodles and cheese into greased 9x13 baking pan
9. Bake uncovered for 25-30 minutes or until golden and bubbly.
Recipe Adapted from Family Spice Blog